Saturday, November 8, 2008

Tebasaki and Misokushkatsu, Yamachan, Nagoya

Sept 9, 2008
So I've got two restaurants I'm looking for in Nagoya, one misokatsu (miso pork cutlet) place and one udon place. I leave my capsule hotel at around 8:30, walk to the misokatsu place by 9, and its closed. Then I consult my map and see the udon place nearby, go there, and its closed. So I consult the map again, find a new place, need to ask a local to help me find it, and its closed. Gah.

The local very nicely suggests this place, kind of a drinking place, with Nagoya snacks like tebasaki (the chicken wings, with some special spices) and misokushkatsu, basically misokatsu on a stick =P. I go in, it's open (yay!) but full, so I just get takeout. Go back to the hotel, I'm told no food in the hotel. So I go to a mcdonald's, buy a drink, sit down, and am told its closing....

SO, I finally sit down on the metal steps in front of my hotel, and eat there at around 11:30. The tebasaki was ok, I wasn't a big fan of the spices they used. The misokushkatsu, on the other hand, was the most amazing taste ever, I was blown away, probably cause I was so dang hungry at the time. Don't even know how to describe it... like regular pork cutlet, but smothered in some sort of miso-msg concoction (not that there was msg, that's just the best comparison I can think of).

No comments: