Thursday, December 4, 2008

Black Pork Shabu Shabu, Wakana, Kagoshima

September 13, 2008
Got into Kagoshima, in the southern part of Kyushu, pretty late in the day (around 9, maybe). I was also out of cash. I finally found a ATM at a convenience store, but they were closed. Seriously, ATMs in Japan have a closing time each day, early on weekends too. So not only did I not have money for eating, but for staying at a hotel as well. I went back to the train station and basically waited around hoping to find an American or someone I could exchange my American dollars with (as that was the backup I had brought with me).

I was fortunate to meet a really nice Kenyan, who was working in the city, who exchanged $100 US for me even though he really had no need for US dollars. He also showed me where a hostel was (which ended up being full), and a strip of restaurants at which to eat.

About the black pork, apparently Kagoshima is known for its black pork, which is supposed to be highly prized pork meat. The meat, as you can tell, is not black, that name comes from the colour of the pigs themselves. The shabu shabu was goooood, especially the fatty pieces, although I don't know that I could honestly tell you (or distinguish) the difference between this and regular pork.

No comments: