Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Kobe Beef, Wakkoqu, Kobe

September 15, 2008
Ahh... kobe beef. I originally didn't plan on going to Kobe, since I thought the beef would be too expensive for my $100/day budget (including travel and accomedations!) I forget why I decided to actually go.

Spent a bit of time walking around looking for this place, which I had discovered had some good cheap set menu options at lunch. After looking at the menu, I selected the cheapest one (of course) for roughly 3500 yen. The chef (right in front of me, as you can see) brought out the meat and was about to start grilling it when I decided to check to make sure it was Kobe beef. It wasn't. Apparently it was Tajima beef, which was one grade down from Kobe beef.

After a bit of arguing, me wanting my Kobe beef, the chef claiming he had already cut it, they finally agreed and I got the real Kobe beef. The only set menu option with Kobe beef ended up costing me 5544 yen, but also came with soup and dessert.

The beef itself was quite quality. The chef originally cut out all the fatty parts, and just grilled up what you see in the second picture there, which is obviously smaller than the first picture, so I felt gypped. (It was only something like 5 ounces, after all). But it turned out he grilled part of it first, then did all the veggies, then the other part of it (minus the fatty part). Then he grilled up the fatty parts with some bean sprouts for a mega-quality chop-suey. So quite worth the trip and the cost, all in all.

Final comment, I did not say it melted in my mouth, cause beef can't actually melt. And if it actually could, I wouldn't want it, cause I like to actually chew my meat. Pet peeve of mine =P

No comments: