Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ramen, Raumen Museum, Yokohama

September 17, 2008
Ahh.. the Raumen Museum (yes, it's spelled R-A-U-men, I don't know why. I will continue to spell it without the u). This place was pretty cool, they brought in 9 "famous" ramen makers from across the country, selling local specialties or twists on the standard ramen fare, all in the basement in a recreation of 1950s Tokyo. I had actually managed to visit at least 5 of those cities already, so I went for two places I had not tried yet. Apparently I've lost my Raumen Museum guide, so I can't remember where each one was from.

Anyhow, it was ramen, tastes good =). The ball of red stuff in the second picture is actually a ball of spices, that was interesting. And I only realized after I made it to the second store that I could order half-orders, so I probably could have eaten a third type had I realized that before. Surprisingly, the one on the bottom was the half-portion; the pictures don't really show that, do they?

Finally, they had all sorts of other stuff in the Museum, including a history of instant noodles, and many other things that I couldn't understand cause I don't read Japanese. There were also apparently ramen video games, which basically consist of you trying to eat ramen faster than your opponent. Also a bar, a candy store, and some sort of archery/gun carnival game. I bought the marble drink and some ice cream in a balloon, pictured below.




No comments: